jamesjbigler

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pinhotis

From Pinhoti102008


Amy and I rode Pinhoti 1 together today. This was Amy's first time riding this trail, and she rode very well. She made it through the whole trail entirely under her own power. Several times I looked backed and was shocked to see her right on my wheel. A few times I even went too slow and made her have to stop because I was in her way.

From Pinhoti102008


After the ride was over I asked her if she had fun. She said "yes I had a good time". He smile said otherwise so I asked "Would you like to ride this trail again?". She immediately responded "No!". We both laughed.

From Pinhoti102008


Pinhoti 1 is a great trail with very scenic views and a super fun downhill, but it starts with a monster of a 1 mile climb. That sucker is steep. If you are used to riding around on Atlanta's local trails, it can be a big shock to the system.

From Pinhoti102008


After Amy went back to the car, I rode Pinhoti 2 and Pinhoti 3. Pinhoti 3 kicked my butt. Not only did the climbs wear me out, but I had a heck of a time with the switchbacks. It has been years since I have ridden there, but my selective memory swears the last time I was there I could ride all but one of the switchbacks. Today I couldn't ride hardly any of the uphill switchbacks. I think I might have made two out of twenty switchbacks.

From Pinhoti102008


My mountain biker brain instantly blamed my bike and began scheming a way to improve my bike to make me a better rider. I quickly realized the last time I rode there I was on my full suspension Cannondale with 26 inch wheels. Something about my 29er must be causing me not to be able to ride a switchback. I am thinking about trying to lower my stem a little bit. I have noticed my front tire wandering on steep climbs. The other solution would be to practice more but that sounds like a lot of work.

1 comment:

chocolate girl said...

Good job, Amy! If you keep riding, I guarantee when you go back there in a year you'll surprise yourself. It will seem much easier than you remember! Keep up the great work. nice pics, James.