jamesjbigler

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Multi modal adventure

I went to the Banff Film Festival last night at the Roxy hosted by REI. They showed a mix of climbing, paddling, and mountain biking films. I really enjoyed it.

I hate driving downtown so I wanted to see if I could make it to the Roxy without using my car. I busted out of meeting early and got out of the office about a quarter to five. I pedaled my ugliest bike in the world as fast as it's little gear would take me. I chose this bike since I figured no one would steal it if I locked it up in a public location. At about twenty minutes after five I was about eight miles further south sitting in the parking lot of the Mansell park and ride. Soon after the bus showed up.

I boarded the packed bus and tried to jam too many quarter into the little slot. The bus driver barked at me to slow down and insert them one at a time. I obliged and found a place to stand halfway down the aisle. Riding down four hundred standing up was a treat. I thought about what would happen if we wrecked for awhile, but eventually just decided there was nothing I could do about it now.

We made it to the North Springs Station unharmed. I got off the bus and found out I couldn't get in the gate to the train station. Seems like if you pay for a bus fare you should be able to get right on the train where the bus stops right? Maybe I did something wrong, but after a short conversation with the marta breeze pass checker dude, I was told I had to buy another ticket. Oh well.

I got my ticket, and the train showed up soon enough. Being the northern most stop, I was treated to an empty train and a vacant seat. I quickly realized I picked the wrong car though. The couple next me decided this was a great place to make out even though they were traveling with the friends which included a three and four year old. It was a quite a scene. The couple taking their clothes off. The friends yelling at them to stop. The children crying. A group of five or six people getting up and moving to another section of the train. The naked lady saying "I ain't harmin no body. Shit.". The old man and woman who boarded later and set directly across from them pretending not to notice the DD bare breasts.

I was happy when we arrived at the Buckhead Station. I climbed up the stairs out the station and realized I didn't know which to go. I knew I needed to go south on Peachtree, but I wasn't sure which direction was south. I guessed based on the direction of the high rises and after a walking a short distance quickly determined I guessed right. The Roxy is probably only a mile from the station, but luckily Amy was driving down Peachtree and stopped to give me a ride.

We found a good place to park. I ate a sandwich Amy bought for me, and we still made it with a plenty of time to spare for the seven pm start time.

The movies were definitely worth the adventure. I can't decide whether it was easier than driving. If the train went all the way to Mansell it would be a no brainer. The bus muddies the waters a bit though. More buses would help.

2 comments:

Cory Benson, AIA, LEED AP said...

i guess the free 'cabaret' show made up for the extra ticket price, then.

chocolate girl said...

What a humorous account! Guess you have to laugh to keep from crying. Glad you at least enjoyed the end goal.