jamesjbigler

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

First applied push interval

This weekend I think I actually applied a push interval to real life situation. I was just riding along on the road started to climb up this big hill and felt myself fall into that push sensation without even trying. Here is comments I sent to my coach.


------------------------------


Sunday's ride went well. I was less imitated by the
cars after the beating I took on the trainer this week. I had my
doubts on whether getting clipped by car would actually hurt worse. I
guess everything is relative. I found a nice long flat spot to do the
circle intervals. I probably looked like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz
because I was pedaling so fast and not really moving. The other
roadies must have thought my chain had fallen off or something. I
noticed soreness on the back of my leg just above the knee area
(especially when doing the circle intervals). I must be working some
new muscles. I also noticed something new while climbing this long
intermediate grade hill. I started off in my typical quad only
erractic pedaling. I must have had a flashback to my push interval
because all of sudden my hamstrings decided to take over and I felt
the smooth push interval rhythm I had the other day. It felt like
someone had attached a rope to the front of my bike and was gently
pulling me up the hill. Cool feeling.

Thanks for the explanation. Even before I started working with you I
noticed that the more I tried to be efficient by focusing on my pedal
stroke and breathing the more my heart rate climbed even though I
couldn't really notice a huge change in cadence or gearing. I think
this quote from you describes best what I was noticing.

"your heart rate will usually increase because you are being more
consistent and not giving it the mini breaks usually that occur when
we are being inefficient"

Even though I didn't see an increase in instaneous speed, I bet I
would see an increase in average speed if i had sustained my focus for
30 minutes to 1 hour. I also bet I would see less deviation between
average and instaneous if I maintain my focus.

Putting all my energy into the pedals instead of most of my energy in
the pedals and the rest in clenching the upper body makes sense too.

No comments: